Thursday, January 26, 2006

Best Hipster Clothing Expose

Bear with me, I'm going somewhere with this . . .

All right, so there's this great store, Seize sur Vingt, in Nolita that specializes in dress clothes that make me really, really want a real job. It's like a place that's on a mission to single handedly get downtown kids to dress nice, and it's rather popular, so I suppose it's getting the job done. I mean, they must be doing something right because they've got a line of clothing that's co-branded with Vice, the tastemaking magazine/record label/etc. at the forefront of 21st Century hipsterism called "Seize sur Vice." Anyway, last summer Seize sur Vice had a line of polo shirts and the first time I saw them I thought, "Oh, look, a Seize sur Vice polo shirt and it has a little logo on it . . . a logo of squares." Because what's a polo shirt without a litle logo on it, right? A little penguin or tiger or alligator or laurel (or laurel with crossbones!), etc. etc., right? But after seeing the shirt on folks around town few times I realized something. That logo . . . it's not just a design made out of a bunch of squares. Take a look at it (or I don't know, maybe it's obvious to you right away and I took forever to get it):



Dude, the Seize sur Vice logo is a bag of coke! And I bet you that it's quite possible that many of the people that snapped up a Seize sur Vice polo shirt didn't realize the sort of snowy subversiveness they were supporting, sartorially.

I just wanted to say that as I've been waiting to find a picture of this logo for the longest time and finally did and now I can talk about my discovery.

Anyway My first Friday back in New York after my break I (and the rest of New York) tried to get into the final First Friday night at the Guggenheim where Hollertronix DJ Diplo was DJing. Anyway, the night was cold and the line stretched from 5th Avenue to Madison and then down the block . . . so, yeah, I didn't get in. But walking by the museum after giving up I don't think I would have wanted to get in because the museum was bursting with folks. Anyway (I keep saying that word) AOL Music has Diplo's entire set from that night available and, I must say, he played some great songs. Keep your ears peeled for great moments (please indulge my mixtape snobbery here) like Casjmere's "The Percolator", Gwen Stefani's "Luxurious" over "Rock the Casbah", "Blue Monday" leading into "Hung Up", Daft Punk's "Technologic" leading into Busta Rhyme's "Touch It"(duh), "Salt Shaker" going to "Safety Dance" going into M.I.A.'s "M.I.A." and then David Banner's "Run" going into "Tipsy" going into "Love Cats." What magnificent art museum music!

Find it here.

One More Thing Let's end on a positive note. Look who's back in the game!

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I think that logo looks like a glass that's half full (or half empty??).

Side of Jeffrey said...

Um, M.I.A. rules, so thanks Diplo for giving that chick some beat helps - it paid off for listening enjoyment.

Sparklebot said...

I have two things to say:
1) This post is something that I've felt your blog was lacking: fashion talk. Let's have more fashion talk.

2) Jaymoo told me he hated MIA until I made him listen to her when we were filming, and now he's in love with her all of a sudden.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Smash is partly correct, and partly incorrect:

Correct statement: I did become obsessed as of October. That is true.

Incorrect statement: I never said I hated her, only that I had heard her live at some free media thing where she played 3 songs and was not impressed that evening with her set. Also saggy, old, and drunk Blondie was there, so you can imagine I was just musically confused that evening.

Sparklebot said...

Take that Blondie statment back. Nobody disses Blondie.

Side of Jeffrey said...

NEVER!

Anonymous said...

Here's where my naivete comes in...I thought that was a stereo speaker...and I feel like that store is familiar. Did we go there when I was in New York?

Broek