Friday, January 13, 2006

Best Dates With the Night

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My list of bands that I MUST see live that I haven't seen yet is short:

1) Blur
2) The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
3) The Jesus and Mary Chain

But the list just got shorter:

1) Blur
2) The Jesus and Mary Chain

Because yesterday I found out the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were playing New York at the end of February and they (unexpectedly) went on sale at noon . . . so now I've got tickets to see them twice at the Bowery.

I was just going to link to the ticketweb for you folks but the shows are now sold out, which makes sense.

I am going to be squirmingly excited for these shows. Why? Because 1) I've tried to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs several times before and I've always been foiled for the silliest of reasons and 2) The Yeah Yeah Yeah's make rock that sounds like the rock that I like to like, they're like the archetype of what I want my music to sound like and Fever to Tell is one of my most-listened to records.

2005 was a year of catching shows by bands swallowed up in buzz, 2006 might turn into a year of shows by favorite acts as I've also got Bad Brains and Some Girls coming up and, who knows, maybe I'll check in on MF Doom and Belle and Sebastian?

P.S. What other bands were on my must see list?

4) Thee Headcoats (or any other Billy Childish project)--I got lucky and saw them at the Empty Bottle in 1998 and then got real lucky and saw Thee Headcoats' last ever show ever when I was living in London in 2000.

5) Einsturzende Neubauten--High School Brigham would never believe that he'd wind up seeing them twice, once in London and then in New York.

6) The Cramps--Saw them in DC in 2004, it nearly cost my Cramps fanship. But I'd probably give them another shot. I posted about it . . . somewhere.

7) Guitar Wolf--I almost didn't even dream to see these guys, but it happened at CBGBs last year. Beyond bananas. Dig through my February 2005 archive to remember it.

I suppose the Arcade Fire, the Streets, and Interpol would have wound up on the list had I not gotten to see them fairly shortly after they became favorites of mine.

P.P.S. Walked down MacDougal beside Julian Casablancas two days ago, he was being harassed by a vagrant. You could barely tell the two apart.

P.P.P.S. Yes, I realize that the Jesus and Mary Chain broke up years ago . . . but doesn't it just seem like they could get back together without it being a big deal?

4 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

Belle & Sebastian? When is that happening?

Brigham said...

Parties concerned with the twee, don't sleep on this:

Click here before noon on 1/14

Anonymous said...

The Jesus & Mary Chain could easily get back together. Bauhaus did it. The Cure did it. Dead Can Dance did it. So there's a definite precedent there.

Thanks largely to Genevieve, I've seen two of the bands on my list: U2 and Bauhaus. While I may yet see Dead Can Dance, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Gustavo Cerati, Tom Petty, Nick Cave and Depeche Mode one day, The Sisters of Mercy and Alice In Chains are lamentably defunct now.

Paul said...

Brig,

Trust me on this one: another band you have to see for 2006 is called Mobile. They are incredible.

Unfortunately the closet they are currently coming to NYC is Buffalo on Jan 27th. Hmmm.... too far. But I predict they will come to NYC late in 2006. Right now they are a Canada-only band.