Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Best Jabs at Them Indie Kids and Them Shadow Warriors

Aziz Ansari, a New York comedian who makes funny videos, recently made a funny video about two jerky rock snobs that work at Other Music and it was posted on Stereogum. Almost the whole video is funny, so you should watch it, especially if you either like or dislike hip people. If you're ambivalent about hipness, then this video probably isn't for you.

This is the Link to the movie, scroll down a tiny bit when you get there:
"When I tell Sujfan about this his going to . . . insult you."

Also I've been meaning to post this next link for a long time. A while ago a new super-fancy Japanese restaurant opened in New York. So what, right? Super-fancy Japansese restarants are opening all the time in New York, right? Well, what if I told you this restaurant was called Ninja and it was a super-fancy Ninja-themed Japanese restaurant where it's like you're having dinner in a secret Ninja village? Kind of like the Mayan, but starting at $80 a head, and for business people. Sound ridiculous? You really have to read the NY Times review of the place, it's beautifully vitrolic.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

That "Other Music" video is great. So accurate. I have never walked out of Other Music feeling good about myself. And it's not like I'm asking for The Killers or the Garden State soundtrack.

Cache said...

after what I have learned of this "Other Music"--and that is only the video and lauren's comment--I feel propelled to take a personal crusade into that place and slap everyone that works there.

Anonymous said...

At this risk of sounding vitriolic, I have to point out that you misspelled 'vitriolic'...

Anonymous said...

"IN A DUMPSTER! He's playing in a dumpster."

That's the best part for me.

I found that the most intimidating persons are not the ones fronting like the record store dudes, which is to be expected, but the ones who are "not fronting" and just engaging in conversation and use music minutia to casually show that you obviously don't know what you are talking about if you didn't know that the band's first show was at blah blah and their second album was ACTUALLY their third album, but most people weren't counting that as their first album since it was only limited release import on vinyl, and really vinyl is the way to experience music and though it makes sense to get music other ways, but with records it's just so real and it's not like that for everybody but music is just an OBSESSION for me... etc etc etc...

Broek

Tannertrue said...

"I heard that was indie-tastic"

Best line.

I'm glad I knew two of the bands they mentioned or else I would have felt left out of the group.

So, I hate music snobs. But, there is a guy at work who is perpetually wrong about music stuff. Like the guy on the Fed-Ex commercial. Like he says things like "Rock is a different genre than Rock and Roll." and "You know what the best cover of a song is? Yes's cover of the Police's 'owner of a lonely heart'." I always have to be the guy to say. "No guy. Yes did 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'. The Police never did that song." Which makes me feel like a music snob. But the only thing that I dislike more than a music snob is a person that presents self drawn conclusions, conjecture, rumors, and heresay as fact.

Brigham said...

Yeah, also, sometimes I don't use good punctuation either.

Tannertrue said...

Wait, are you making fun of me?

Brigham said...

No, I was referring to the Anonymous who caught my first ever typo/spelling error.