Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Best Doomed Love at the Taco Stand

The other night I was going through some of my boxes and found one of my great treasures, a love letter one of the Elders from my mission had written to a girl in my area. How did I get this letter? One night in my third area I got a call from an Elder saying he was sending me (via inter-mission couriers) two letters for an investigator that lived in my area and asked that I made sure they got to her. I told him I'd do what I could, but that week I had a transfer and the letters eventually got to me at a Zone Conference in my next area. When I got the letters I thought "Oh yeah, those letters that Elder wanted me to deliver . . . oh well, too bad I'm not in that area anymore" and I stashed them in my luggage. It never even crossed my mind to send the letters back to him or to read them myself. It especially never crossed my mind that they might be love letters. Anyway, after my mission I found the letters amongst my stuff when I was unpacking and opened them and read them and . . . ta-da! They were love letters. Interesting. It seems I have permanently lost the more passionate of the two (which included the line "How I wish I could have met you in a rain storm") but today, in honor of the holiday, is letter number two, presented in its orignal Spanish with its original abundance of mispellings.

2DA Carta 11 Mayo 1997

Hola Norma como estas

Sabes he pensando mucho en ti y cada dia mesiento mas serca de ti y sabes me gustaria expresar lo que siento por ti.

Sabes eres una perzona buena onda y sabes eres un poco loca pero eres buena y se que eres espesial por que lo se por que cada que hablo contigo me siento muy bien y me-da mucho animo y es bien espesial.

Tal vez pienses que estoy un poco loco pero todavia me siento bien? Bueno eso espero. He tenido un buen de broncas o problemas y cuando estoy hablandote se me paso un poco de enojo pero enfin todos pasamos por las mismas situaciones o no ok?

Y quisiera saber realmente lo que sientes por mi y si me lo podrias escrivir ok.
Ya que mis sentimientos por ti son muchos bueno me despido de ti sin antes decirte que como quisiera estar a tu lado

como te extrano


Enough time has passed for me to think that this letter is more nice than it is against the rules.
PS JetBlue is the opposite of my Valentine this year.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I can't decide if the whole situation is really sad or kind of funny. I mean, the guy WAS clearly out of bounds. But it does make me wonder . . . What would have happened? Did this guy finish his mission? More importantly, have you ever talked to him since the mission? What I mean is, would/could he ever find out that you posted his love letter on your blog?!?

Sparklebot said...

If only I spoke Spanish. Darn all those German lessons!

Anonymous said...

what is "un buen de broncas?"

Brigham said...

Lucas: Un buen de broncas = a bunch of problems.
I was used to "broncas" meaning "problems" in the "beef" sense.
(I'll answer questions of slang for those who are fluent in non-Mexican Spanish.)

Sara: I don't know what became of the Elder. He had lots of issues beyond this one, but was a pretty good kid and our President was a pushover so I'm guessing he finished his two years. I'd put the possibility of his finding this post at absolutely 0%. He probably thinks I'm dead, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I think that was my brother's letter. Very nice of you to open it, read it, and put it on the internet. gracias.

Tannertrue said...

that guys spelling is terrible. I assume that it was transcribed directly as written.

I did like the little part at the end which essentially was the equivalent of Do you like me? Check yes/no/maybe.

In my mission we called those missionaries "Fresco" but since Dominicans don't say S's and D's it sounded like Freco. Which means "fresh"