Thursday, February 02, 2006

Best Best of List Filled Out Out of Guilt

Meredith, the mastermind behind the Thanksgiving Cape Cod adventure, had this Best of 2005 list that she sent around and eventually I felt enough pressure and filled it out. And maybe you weren't one of the three hundred people it got forwarded to, and maybe you want to read it here:

Best of Film: Star Wars Episode III. Duh.
Best of Old Film: Masculin Feminine at the Film Forum. Holy Best
Bestness of the Year.
Worst of Film: I don’t see Worst Movies.
Biggest Disappointment: Roll Bounce. I mistakenly expected roller
skating to occur in this film.

***TELEVISION***

Best of TV: I only watch Arrested Development
Best Reality TV: Oh yeah, I also only watch My Super Sweet 16, but only
the first season matters (and it matters greatly).

***MUSIC***
Best Records: I liked all the hip stuff that all the hip people liked.
But also, 2005 was a year of mixtapes for me, and I most enjoyed the
Rub’s first mixtape, Nick Catchdub’s “Oh Snap!” , and Hollertronix’s
“Soul Sessions.” “Piracy Funds Terrorism” came out in 2004, so I’m not
putting that on the list.
Best Sound: I love the instrumental track to David Banner’s “Play” by
Mr. Collipark. It’s the sound I’d most like stuck in my head for the
rest of my life.
Biggest Surprise: Seriously, I did not expect “You Could Have It So Much
Better” to be so good.

***MISCELLANEOUS***

Favorite Celebrity in 2005: I had a great conversation with Vince
Vaughn at the Dresden Room.
Least Favorite Celebrity in 2005: Adolf Hitler. Again.
Best of Theater: Demetri Martin’s “These Are Jokes” Oh! Oh! I liked
“Fiddler on the Roof”
Best of Fiction: “The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists” and
“The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab” by Gideon DeFoe.
Best of Non-Fiction: Probably my Admiralty Law textbook. And “Death and
the Idea of Mexico” by Claudio Lomnitz
Best of Opera: Tales of Hoffman at the Met. p.s., I am an opera-going
sophisticate.
Best of Travel: I love the 2/3! It’s so fast!
Worst of Travel: Except on weekends below 14th street! Then the 2/3 is
the worst!
Best of Food: Dumont, Five Points, Queen’s Hideaway, Freeman’s, etc. etc.
Best of Sports: Finding out that the White Sox won the world series
before I knew that they had even made it to the series.
Best Purchase: My pink and blue scarf. Hands down.
Worst Purchase: That one prostitute I met on the pier. Such a mistake!
Best Party: Probably all my birthday parties. No, wait! The “Mitch
Clark is Coming to My House” Party.
Best/Worst Violation of Law: See “Worst Purchase”
Best Decision of 2005: Seeing so many great concerts and taking so many
trips to Utah.
Worst Decision of 2005: I bet you think I’m going to make another
prostitute joke. Yup.
Happiest Day of 2005: Let’s say seeing Episode III at home with my Mom
on opening night?
Saddest Day of 2005: Why does the best of 2005 list have to end with
the saddest thing? Let’s say how Dad got called into the hospital right
before we were going to see Episode III on opening night.

Although this list has all the looks of definitiveness to it, please don't take it too seriously . . . and also, how neat is it of me to post Best Of's at the beginning of February, only a month after prime Best-Of season.

4 comments:

Cache said...

hey brigham, my sister said that your mom was worried that you and i were fighting? Sorry, I hope other people didn't think that because i like you mister brigham.

and you write real good.

Anonymous said...

Who is the "Hoffman" in "Tales of Hoffman"? Was it E.T.A. Hoffman? That would be awesome.

Brigham said...

ETA. That's the guy. Dig through my January 2005 archive for plenty of details.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Apparently I am not one of New York's 300 most popular Mormons because I received no such forward. Don't try and forward it to me now...that would be a pity forward.