Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Best Return of the Eating V: School Night

Last night (Tuesday night) I ate with Mom, Dad and Cory at Lure. I did not take a single picture. I did not have the burger. I had a fish.

Then I went with Dad and saw Der Rosenkavalier at the Met. I don't know so much about the opera, but I've seen a good handful and this one seemed awful good to me. It took me a while to realize it, but it was quite silly/funny and in the third act there's all this singing and I had this epiphany moment: "Whoa...this music, it's coming out of people's mouths." Is fine opera singing one of the most disciplined and impressive things that can be done with the human body? As mind boggling as winning a gang of gold medals or Tour de Frances? My answer is: "Why not?"

Also, it was nearly 12:30 when the opera got out. I don't think I've been out this late with a parent since the time we all saw a 10pm screening of Forrest Gump.

No comments: