Monday, September 18, 2006

It's Always Better on Holiday IV, pt. XII

I can't believe it, but this is the last of my vacation posts. Sure, I could break this one down into two posts, but you'd feel pretty ripped off if I did.

First

Just like I said earlier, last Sunday I was reunited with George Mataele who I knew as Elder Mataele when he was serving as a missionary in my ward about two years ago. His sister Alisi invited me over for dinner the next night, a dinner so spectacular that I totally forgot to take any pictures of it . . . but there was broccoli, rice, potatoes, yummy chicken, Hawaiian pork, salad, rolls, Propel, and two types of pie. Awesome! But these pictures I did take, after the meal:

Photographic evidence was found around the house that George has always been an exceptional fellow.


Look at me! I'm Cassian!


George and Alisi, magnificent hosts and the pride of Los Feliz.



Second

Tuesday I got lunch downtown with Broek at Clifton's Cafeteria.


Wait, where'd we go? Oh yeah, Clifton's Cafeteria (a.k.a. Clifton's Brookhurst)


What, exactly, is Clifton's. Well, it's Los Angeles' largest restaurant, it's 60 years old, it's a cafeteria, it turns out my Grandma used to go there as a teenager, AND it's decorated like it's Yellowstone or Yosemite or something!!




I was so blown away by the decor that I forgot to photograph my very cafeteria-food lunch.


Sometimes the decor at Clifton's takes a backseat to the restaurant's fine clientele, such as this Colonel Sanders lookalike.


Oh, wait. I need to tell you that Broek and Tanner took a Mexican vacation while I was in LA and Broek came back with exquisitely decorated nails.


After lunch I tossed a coin into the waterfall


And we snuck up to the closed-off way-fancy thirdfloor dining room.


In case you were wondering where Clifton's was located, it's right next door to the theater where Football the Musical is playing


Just down the street from where I get all my gold watches


And my Cream of Snail Dribble.


But seriously, Clifton's was super-amazing and I can't believe I didn't even know it existed until last week. I found a good report on it at NPR that's worth a listen if you've got the patience.

And that, dear readers, was my long trip to Utah and Los Angeles.

1 comment:

Cache said...

hi twin.