Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It's Always Better on Holiday IV, pt. VI

First things first. The Paul Smith store on Melrose is very, very pink.


On Thursday afternoon I decided to plunge into the very depths of nostalgia and visit the La Brea Tar Pits. Yes!


The tar pits honor all your favorite ice age beasts, such as the Three-Toed Sloth



The extremely-rare Pensive Brown Bear


Hairless-Mastadons (here enjoying the worst Family Home Evening ever)



Run, Scrat, Run!


But more than anything, the La Brea Tar Pits are all about the awesomeness of the Smilodon.


Upon entering the museum I lasted for about 4 minutes in the guided tour before venturing off on my own.


Were I not alone I'd have a picture of me showing how good I am at escaping tar.


I feel it unnecessary to label every last picture of bones or animals that I took.




Hmmm. Now here's an idea . . .


Apparently birds also die in the tar. Come on, birds. Stop trying to land on the tar! You, of all animals, should know better than that.





This is a Dire Wolf


And this is a Dire Wolf skeleton


And guess what? If you happen to find a Dire Wolf skull, don't bring it to the tar pits, because they have plenty of them


Trust me.


Busy workshop.


I remember this guy.


Oh my gosh, Three-Toed Sloth. Do NOT mess with the Smilodon.


See, I told you!



Sometimes people let the Smilodon's reputation for viciousness make them forget that they were totally family cats, just killing whatever crossed their paths to feed the cubs.


Within the museum there is a courtyard jungle and it is a very, very calm place to be.




(Just in case you forgot what I looked like.)

3 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

This post made me laugh a lot. LAL! My favorite parts were, Run, Scrat, Run! and the mastadon FHE and the warning to the three-toed sloth.

The La Brea Tar Pits is one of my most favorite places to visit in LA. I remember reading about it in 1st grade and having a dream to go there and then, a few years ago, I did.

Cache said...

my favorite part? the fact that people actually believe that these "skeletons" are real, and not made by scientists who don't want us to believe in Adam and Eve. hah! people will believe anything.

GIRL DATING NYC said...

I love the pink wall picture!!!!