Monday, April 04, 2005

Best Visitors

Last week my family (minus the sisters) were in town. Mostly this meant I went to school and studied while they walked around, and then I met them for dinner. Together we ate at Peep, Cafeteria (the restaurant with the best worst service in New York), Freeman's, Tavern on the Green, Dumont, and Five Points. And I went to see Fiddler on the Roof with them (it was totally good, I had never seen it before, not even in High School) and some of us caught Don Giovanni at the Met on Friday night (also totally good, but the Don Giovanni gets dragged down to hell scene was a little disappointing.) As I was/am still a little worn out from taking so many pictures over Spring Break I went a little easy on the picture taking when they were around, but I submit this account of our dinner at Freeman's as representative of the times we had.

Freeman's is a restaurant that my buddy Pete made famous (am I taking credit by giving it to him?) that became even more famous when it was rumors of the Bush twins being denied entry surfaced. Relying on the notion that anyone can probably get a table anywhere on a weeknight if they get there early enough, the family and I went to check the place out on Thursday night.

Before we go on, you need to know that Freeman's is hidden at the end of a long alley off of Bowery. Just imagine that as you look at these pictures.

First off, we found the well-appointed interior to be very nice.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We ordered every appetizer (except for the hardboiled egg) from bacon-wrapped prunes stuffed with stilton to cheddar toasts to meat pies to artichoke dip to maybe some other appetizer that I forgot to name.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My brothers ordered the pork chops. They were the biggest pieces of pig I had seen since my last trip to Vegas. The pork chops, not my brothers.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Mom and I both had the filet mignon, Dad had mac and cheese. Then we ordered just about every dessert that was on the menu. Mom was very delighted with the sight of her apple-based dessert, but everyone decided the winning dessert of the evening was the baked lemon pudding.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

By the time we were done with dinner the place was super-packed and full of people trying to talk themselves into a table. Also, many a car service was found waiting on Rivington. This is the family, full of dinner:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Something else we did as a family was take this picture that made the guys hanging out in the subway station laugh.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You see, we were making a joke based on these posters in the subway stations that just can't be serious, can they?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: