Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Best a Plug for the Underdog

I finished filling another Moleskine the other week, actually, I set a new record for Moleskine filling: 3/15/09-6/29/09, RIP. Put it up on the shelf and it was time for a new notebook, and I did something different and daring. I bought one of these:


It's a Leuchtturm notebook, probably world famous somewhere else in the world, but to me, new and unknown. Why did I buy Leuchtturm? Curiosity over several potential advantages to the notebook. They are:
  • Includes the little bookmark (which actually I always try to rip out as I just use the elastic band for a bookmark) of a Moleskine as well as the little pocket in the back, so right off the bat you're not missing anything essential to the small, booklike notebook experience.
  • Approximately 1/2" taller than a comparable Moleskine.
  • Numbered Pages. BIG selling point.
  • Space for date at top of page.
  • Table of Contents: may prove useless to me, but I have begun to fill out.
  • Perforated Pages in the back. A feature to some, but not all (likesay, the ones I've been using) Moleskins.
  • The paper stock strikes me as being whiter than a Moleskines. Could not be true, though.
  • Surprise Super Bonus Feature: Includes stickers to date and label the notebook when you're done and it's time to archive the little guy. Very good move here, Leuchtturm. I had been wanting to find little labels for my Moleskine spines.
  • Also: $3 cheaper than a Moleskine.
For me, it all adds up to: Worth a shot if you're the Moleskine sort.

2 comments:

Ali said...

except it doesn't have my notes and small sketches...

Meike said...

just in case you were wondering.. "Leuchtturm" means lighthouse in english. And it is a north german brand..kinda close to my home..