Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Best Sky High Lodging

This happened two weeks ago...

Perhaps you are familiar with the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle?


And you know that the northern tower houses the luxurious Mandarin Oriental hotel, right?


Couple of weeks ago an amigo of ours had (poor guy) to spend a few nights in a suite there for work. For the sake of decorum (something I may or may not be known for, depending on who the knower is) I'll refrain from saying which specific friend (but here's a hint: they're in one of these photos and I already disclosed that it was a male) or for what purpose (except that it was for work and it wasn't illegal) and I definitely won't be totally gauche and say what I think the room cost a night BUT I will say that until that evening I don't think I had ever been to a four-figure hotel room and I'm not saying if, since that evening, that fact about me has changed or not. While other socialized, I mostly inspected. Oh! And the suite was on the 42nd floor, maybe the 43rd? Possibly the 45th. Definitely no higher than that, though.

The living area.



The sleeping area. Consider the view!



The rest area. (A few times before I had heard that the Mandarin's showers were something else and it did certainly look like it could get the job done. Plus it had a Japanese robo-toilet there, too.)


With the suite well inspected I spent the rest of my visit behind the curtains looking out the windows with the binoculars inspecting New York city from high up. I was teased for this, but I deserved it.


Lamp. I think we all know how we all feel about you by now.

1 comment:

Side of Jeffrey said...

I looked at the Mandarin once just out of curiosity and some rooms were going for $8000 a night. What kind of company has that type of financial prowess amidst an economic downturn? Are they hiring?