Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Best Recommended Reading IV: FAIL!


This week's Recommended Read is "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. It rounds out the perfect little trifecta of Araby-stories from my English 251 experience BUT I couldn't find a copy of it anywhere on the internet. Weird. I found links to websites that would help you write a paper on it and excerpts from it posted on Christian inspirational message boards (hrrm?) but the short story, in its entirety, that I could not find on the internet.

Great job, internet. I thought you were supposed to have everything. Guess not. Superhighway downgraded to thoroughfare as far as I'm concerned.

Now I wait for a hotshot Anonymous to show up in the comments saying "Drrr, obviously you don't know how to use a search engine because [a href="link"]here's[/a] your story!

Come on Anonymous, make me look dumb. I want to read this story again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Things They Carried rocked my world until I finished it and learned that it was all made up.

Anonymous said...

http://web.archive.org/web/20011222025122/www.nku.edu/~peers/thethingstheycarried.htm

I will remain anonymous, though I really should take credit for my superior web searching skills.

Anonymous said...

http://web.archive.org/web/20011222025122/
www.nku.edu/~peers/thethingstheycarried.htm

but maybe I shouldn't take credit for my horrible comment posting skills. That's the complete address.

Collin Mapp said...

Look at those sticks they carried!!!

Jen and Shane said...

i read this in college--although i remember it being a long story. maybe i should go read it again, because when i finished i was left with a feeling of "at least that didn't suck". in another vein, i strongly suggest will clarke's lord vishnu's love handles. word.