Monday, November 22, 2004

"Best New Music"? Yeah, no kidding.

Maybe you read Pitchfork yesterday and saw that (via a nearly unreadable review) they gave the M.I.A. mixtape "Piracy Funds Terrorism" an 8.5 and stamped it with their covetable "Best New Music" decree that they give out every now and then. Well, I can only agree with the Pitchforkers on one thing here, "Piracy Funds Terrorism" certainly merits the "Best New Music" tag, but the record is more of a 12-out-of-10 than an 8.5.

Simply put, M.I.A.'s mixtape (so blessed by its association with Hollertronix . . . who, aside from being extremely capable DJs also have about the best name there is) is an example of a record that sounds exactly like I want my music to sound. Heavy, crunchy, gutsy, I haven't been so immediately pleased by a record since "Fever to Tell." I mean, seriously, look at this girl:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Is there any conceivable way that her music isn't going to be awesome? Clearly the girl can work the crowd like it's Fall 2003 and her name's Howard Dean. (Yes, you're right, I stole those pictures.) If anyone is going to make Sri Lankan Dancehall/Hip-Hop hot, it's gonna be her. On "Piracy Funds Terrorism", M.I.A. does her thing while appropriating elements of some of the more popular rap (What Happened to that Boy?, Big Pimpin', Pass that Dutch, etc.) and dancehall (Heads High, Limb by Limb[!!]) hits of the last few years and it's no crime because she keeps it so tight--I know, I know, I, Brigham Barnes, have no authority to write "and it's no crime because she keeps it so tight" but that's just the only way I can put it. One of the most noteworthy things about the mixtape is that the last, hmm, third of the record is pretty much all Brazilian funk. It's probably the first time I've heard such a difficult to like sort of urban music sound so legitimate. If you like your music to be awesome and for cool people, you should try to get your hands on this not-entirely-legal CD. Especially if you're Broek, because, believe me, Broek, you'd dig this thing. If you don't already have it.

More stolen photos, cuz I can't resist:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I once saw pictures of M.I.A. that were she was partying even hard than in these, but I can't remember where.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how would one get his/her hands on this CD, especially if he/she worked in a non-download-friendly environment? -lisa

Anonymous said...

yes brigham...i need to get my hands on this (as I do not have it, though fully trust your endorsement) how can I finagle a copy? broek

Brigham said...

I'll hook you guys up. Also, it's at Other Music on 4th Street.

mganchanmi said...

Collection of my favorite Indian ringtones:
Hi everybody
Indian movies are always admired and admired. India is a national music. Me too. I created ringtones from famous movies to download quality ringtones for your mobile phone. Visit the site below: https://ringtonedownload.in/

Here are the most installed ringtones:

- Mere Wala Sardar ringtones
- IPL ringtones
- Kamariya ringtones
- Super Khiladi 4 ringtones
- Jitni Dafa Dekhun Tumhe Parmanu ringtones

Thank you!

Sophie Grace said...

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. PLease go to site picbear to find top hashtag on instagram.