Monday, June 01, 2009

Best Happy Birthday Brigham


Hey, I don't know if he's exactly my namesake or not (I just know I sure have had a lot of pictures taken of me standing in front of his statue at BYU) but I do know it was his birthday today. Happy 207th, Brigham.

I wanted to put in this quote of his where he talks about "Hey, we haven't run out of food until we've eaten all our oxen (or horses?)" but I can't find it anywhere and am starting to think maybe I imagined it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

UPDATED: Here we go!

“I might say something with regard to the hard times. You know that I have told you that if any one was afraid of starving to death, let him leave, and go where there is plenty. I do not apprehend the least danger of starving, for until we eat up the last mule, from the tip of the ear to the end of the fly whipper, I am not afraid of starving to death.”

He was hardcore. Just the man for the job of giving the pioneers the tough love they needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's in Elder Cook's "Hope you Know" talk, I think.

Brigham said...

I thought this was a joke. Turns out it wasn't.

Side of Jeffrey said...

fly whipper??? Rad.