Monday, April 21, 2008

Best Let's Get Down to Business II

The Thursday when my parents were here was a huge and relentless day. We got up early and tried to get Letterman tickets (fail) and then I went to Macy's to look for white shirts (the entire men's department and I was able to find one 16 1/2 36. Come on!) while my folks went to the library. I met up with them in Tribeca where there hotel is and we made a very good and important decision. The decision to have lunch at Nobu. I think Dad liked it better than Babbo.

First of all, here's Mom and Dad on the street, I didn't want to jump into the food without a little human connection.

Okay, Nobu. Kind of ate the same stuff I ate when I went there the first time, but with sunshine and less people around.

Shishito Peppers with Miso Sauce and Eggplant Chips.

Yellowtail & JalepeƱo Sashimi (which I didn't have last time)

The Rock Shrimp Tempura. Here my Dad's life started to change.

The King Crab Tempura. This is when Dad started saying that this place might be better than Babbo.

The Black Miso Cod. My Dad called this anti-climatic after the King Crab. Point taken, but 1) it's not exactly table scraps and 2) it's pretty hard for anything to compete with such a decadent meat prepared so decadently.

Fortunately dessert perked up the line graph of deliciousness at the end for everyone. Coconut and Yogurt Sorbet Bomb and Chocolate Cake Bento Box...probably the closest I've ever seen my parents come to fighting was over their final bites of the Bento Box.

After lunch we went up to the Upper West and walked to Grant's Tomb. If you weren't counting, this was my third visit to Grant's Tomb in 2008 and my second that week.

It was a tiny bit different inside this time. Turns out they found out he was dead.

Across the street the sakuras of Sakura Park were on a rampage.

Then we walked through Columbia where all those Ivy League students were being lazy on the stairs.

Then we went to the St. John Divine Cathedral which I've never really taken a close look at before.

While I was there I made a new friend named Cranky Albino Peacock.

Then we walked and walked some more, we walked so much and walked so much and walked through the park and over to the Jackie Onassis Reservoir.

You know what no one ever photographs? Flowers' behinds.

After all that walking we had a nice dinner at Nook on the West Side. I started off with the tuna and avocado tartar, it was a heck of a lot of chopped up raw tuna for one guy to eat (don't worry, I succeeded)

Dad had mushroom soup, mom had salad with blue cheese and pears.

For dinner I had the Nook Cheddar Burger cuz I hadn't had a burger for a couple of days. It was a heck of a lot of chopped and cooked beef for one guy to eat (don't worry, I succeeded)

Dad had Nook's great Thai marinated lamb chops, which I love, and Mom had Nook's great stuffed chicken, which I love.

Whenever you see your mother it's important that she gets a chance to check to see how much you've grown since the last time she saw you.

That night we saw South Pacific at Lincoln Center. Glen Beck and people that don't know to shut up during the overture unless I tell them to were there. It was a good musical, I'd never seen South Pacific before. You know I don't really understand musicals too well, but I gave this one a shot and had as much fun as I could. Also, Adolfo from the Drowsy Chaperone played the funny sailor. So that was good.


Lexia said...

Must get more King Crab Tempura!!! KING...CRAB...TEMPURA...

Cindy said...

I love Adolfo.

JayMoo and Stephoin said...

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? As an important side note...don't go up to the 57th Street Nobu and expect to get the Coconut Bomb dessert...because they won't have it. Instead, they will have much less impressive options and way more businessy crowds.

Heather-Rita said...

okay...we seriously need to visit you. and i want that chocolate bento box....