Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Best Southern Hemisphere Adventure, Days 9&10

You know what you guys deserve? A final Australia post.

Now, just because I extended my stay doesn't mean I had grand plans for my additional two and a half days in Australia. I just wanted to be there, that's all. So Thursday I barely did anything and I enjoyed it tremendously. Just hung around on the beach with a seagull and explored the cliffs to the north a bit.



That night I had dinner in a restaurant that shared the same building as Jeff's apartment. I won't say I can't remember the restaurant's name because I don't think I ever knew it. But it was a very likeable restaurant with strong South Beach-vibe (I say this as someone who has never been to Miami and can only use the term "South Beach-vibe" very unknowingly, but I cannot deny that the vibe I got from this place was South Beachy.)

I enjoyed myself there so much that I had eaten plenty of my dinner before I remembered to take a picture. I got chicken breast stuffed with more chicken (chicken mousse? I think that's what they said was inside) served with green beans and pancetta mashed potatoes. I liked it.


And then, the next day, it was Friday. Some terrible airplane complications and bothers occurred, but I decided not to dwell on those a long time ago, so I'm not going to detail them here. But they were of the very frustrating kind. These pictures tell the story of going to the train station, seeing a giant frog, and eating one last Oporto sandwich.




Something learned: Australian's rate their books and keep the rough ones away from children.


Here are pictures of my plane, the departure, an airplane meal, clouds, etc. It was spooky flying over that big empty Pacific stretching off to the horizon, thinking about the mysterious island I'd be stuck on if the plane crashed.













Arrived in LA, a rush of memories got at me when I realized this was the lobby where I was reunited with my Grandparents (both sets) and my Uncle Greg and Aunt Diane when I came home from my mission. Over there in those chairs I sat and ate Taco Bell they brought for me (a few Tacos Supreme) and drank rootbeer. What a magnificent homecoming!


And when I say "magnificent homecoming" I mean my return from Mexico, not my return from Australia, because I had two more flights to catch and a bus to find before I'd be back to my apartment.

No comments: