Monday, April 23, 2007

Best Brit-Poppin', Take Two

Friday night, Chicago. I catch my second Kaiser Chiefs concert in eight days.

The Venue: The Vic Theatre, where I saw my first concert (Cyclone Temple/New Bomb Turks/Mighty Mighty Bosstones) some thirteen or fourteen years ago (suddenly I can't remember if I was a junior or a senior.) Also, I hadn't been to the Vic since '95. Not much had changed.


The Company: Karlyn, my brother Greg, and Sarah (I'm deciding that she gets an 'h'). I don't know what happened to Greg's eyes here.


The First Opening Band: The Little Ones from Los Angeles. Honestly, not bad. I bet their records are good. Although I thought I had never heard of the Little Ones, I recogneized the last song they played ("Lovers Who Uncover") and later discoverd it in my iTunes library. I cannot explain this.


The Second Opening Band: The Walkmen. Kind of a score as far as opening bands go, as the Walkmen could probably headline a show at the Vic. My concertmates found them boring, I found them to be fine, enjoyable even (when they played songs I knew). However, once I saw the Walkmen at Webster Hall and they played 3 encores and it was not my favorite show. I much prefer an opening-slot sized set by these guys.


And then it was time for the Kaiser Chiefs, who were great fun, as usual. And since the Vic is much smaller than the Roseland and since we got there a lot earlier than last week, my pictures are a lot more middle-of-the-action than last time.






Peanut.


Look how hard Greg was rocking out! He looks like a hooligan!




Oh no, where's Ricky headed now?


Oh, just out to stand on the crowd, that's all.



So, yes. Another grand Kaiser Chiefs performance.