Thursday, March 01, 2007

Best Guest Blackmarket Record Review or "Yours Truly, Angry Greg"

The new Kaiser Chiefs record, "Yours Truly, Angry Mob" has leaked onto the internet (I mean, it's out in England now) so I sent a copy to my brother Greg for a review (as he hasn't written for Steady Mobbin' for a while now).

What he had to say isn't super pretty:

Kaiser Chiefs. They are a brilliant band or at least they where in 2005. Their newest album Yours Truly, Angry Mob is due soon. I had all kind of hopes for this album and I realise that might have been a bad idea. I heard that they where planning to try to achieve a new sound for this album and this excited me greatly, I personally love it when bands are able to change their sound. Unfortunately in this attempt, much of what made the Chiefs great is gone and replaced it with a much more boring, uncreative mess. They lost lots of that riot rock feel that made Employment great. Almost every song just sounds…bad. I hate to say it. But it’s true. I could listen to Employment strait through smiling the whole time and it would be next to impossible for me not to rock out to some of those songs. But listening to Angry Mob I find my self constantly changing the song in disgust. Why do these song suck so much? First off the lyrics are allot less humorous, dry and lack creativity. The music is…well not riot rock. I realize they where trying to do something different but that doesn’t mean creating an album that’s sound is totally new and is full of crap. The riot rock sound is what made the Kaiser Chiefs stand out; it’s what made them cool. I could rock out to Employment to the point of breaking a glass shower door…but this album lacks that rock out factor. But the album is not total trash. In fact there are several songs I love. Those song The Kaiser Chiefs are able to successfully combine their riot rock sound with their new style. This new style is has allot more like keys and more focus on the vocals. It is allot less chaotic. It’s more of a controlled riot then an all over the place a punch in the face kind of sound. These few but great songs are ‘My Kind of Guy’, ‘Retirement’, ‘Thank You Very Much’ and ‘Ruby.’ Hopefully Yours Truly, Angry Mob will grow on me as time passes but as of right now…well yeah I don’t like it much and I am up to 3 times listening to it from start to finish. But I amstill super excited to see them live soon because they put on a crazy fun show and it is defiantly worth experiencing.

But this is what I think: Employment really wasn't such a great record. But Kaiser Chiefs shows have always been good to me. I listened to "Yours Truly, Angry Mob" while cleaning my apartment and it seemed a decent enough soundtrack for chores. I imagine their shows are still fun, we'll see.

Remember when Greg and I went to Lollapalooza in 2005 and saw the Chiefs there? That was Greg's first concert ever.

No comments: