Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Best Great Achievement

At approximately 1:55pm on March 19th, the Land of Hyrule was freed from the clutches of the Dark Lord Ganon.


This was the official ending screen, but it didn't stay up long enough to pose with.


Since January, Tess, Collin, Jeff and I have logged many an hour with the Twilight Princess. Monday's final victory was sweet, but no sweeter than these cherished Zelda memories:

  • Catching escaped goats and herding angry goats ("Goat In!") in the first village
  • Sending a hawk after a chicken, having that hawk actually catch the chicken, then joke about flying from the hill with the chicken, then discovering that this was actually what we were supposed to do all along and we had only been joking about the endeavor.
  • My Jumps, My Jumps, My Little Doggy Jumps.
  • Slapping monkey bottoms in the first dungeon.
  • Howling duets with the golden wolf.
  • Focusing all efforts on finding a grappling hook (not knowing if one even existed in the game) and then finding a grappling hook (or "clawshot", as it were)
  • The Tony Hawk style confrontation with the desert boss.
  • The wild west shootout in the forgotten town (maybe my favorite sequence of the game?)
  • Talking with cats in the forgotten town.
  • Finding out that Tess talked to all the cats for us while we were away.
  • The Yeti knocking the reek fish, cheese, and pumpkin out of me.
  • Figuring out the cannons.
  • Smashing things with the ball and chain.
  • Clawshotting between flying plants during the sky palace dragon boss (once I remembered to z-target, that is)
  • Giving Zant a thorough and merciless beat down.
  • The escalation of the soundtrack as the final battle drew closer.
  • I like that, after so many intense locations and different weapons, it all came down to a swordfight out in a field.
Absolutely not highlights:
  • Bobber fishing.
  • Chasing the Skull Kid through the Sacred Grove.

Although things are well in Hyrule once more, word on the street is very bad things are going down in Athens right now. If you'll excuse me, I must tend to these matters.

4 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

If it felt anything like the time you beat the first Zelda, then it must have been AMAZING. Congratulations. Those games take serious dedication and want.

Anonymous said...

I'm jelous you beat these... punk.

Anonymous said...

We got our Wii in February, and my roommate beat that game in about two weeks. He's a Zelda professional though.

Brigham said...

Oh, I would have torn that game up if it was at my house. But our Zelda Team had to gather together at Tess's to play, so time was always an issue. It's hard to monopolize a 52" television.