Thursday, June 09, 2005

Best Wednesday Night Concert

I just ate too much Kentucky Fried Chicken. It seems I'm always saying stuff like that. Anyway, I ate too much chicken and don't know what to say about lastnight's MIA show. These are the facts:

1) The show was at S.O.B's in Soho. That's "Sounds of Brazil"'s. It was a slightly odd space for the show, if you ask me.
2) The first DJ of the night played lots of Hip Hop over Indian music (uhm, Bhangra, right? I'd hate to call it that and be wrong). Lots of it was great, especially her mix of "Dirt Off Your Shoulder." I gave her the thumbs up (literally) after that one. Oh, and she playd DJ Tiga's version of "Hot in Herre", so good job with that too, mysterious Indian Lady DJ.
3) The second DJ was DJ Marlboro, proclaimed to be the hottest Brazilian baile funk DJ there is. Ok, if you say so. He was pretty great, I probably would have paid money just to hear him playing songs I sort of recognized, but probably not as much as I paid for tonight's show.
4) MIA's DJ was a real dirtbag. That's the impression I got. But the funny thing was that her usual DJ, Diplo, who made her mixtape and everything, was at the show . . . just not playing the records. Which was too bad, as DJ Dirtbag messed up a few things real bad during the show.
5) MIA was great, of course, and we were right right up in the front. (I suppose you could figure that out from the photos). Her set was just barely 30 minutes, which is to be expected, I suppose, as she only has twelve or thirteen songs anyway.

Like before, the set started with this video mix of a press conference with George W. Bush and Tony Blair where Bush keeps interrupting Blair to say "M.I.A." What, were we back at Zoo TV?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After the video mix ended it took a few minutes for MIA to get to the stage through the crowd, which threw the energy off a little, but then she got down to business and it was good.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The idea of this photo is a lot better than the look of the photo.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Near the end of the show I thought: Hey, I'm really close to her, maybe I'll use the flash? Something I hardly ever do at concerts.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was good. Sorry I didn't have so much to say. Like I said, too much chicken.

No comments: