Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Best Guest of the Weekend (Days Two and Three)

Saturday We had dinner at Dumont in Brooklyn. It turns out that the restaurant has a magnificent outdoor dining area in back. Just when you think Dumont can't get better, it pulls out surprises like this. If you're living in New York and you haven't been eating at Dumont, what have you been eating?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After dinner I caught some Jonathan Richman at NorthSix. When I first got my Jonathan Richman ticket I just thought I was going to see some guy that would be singing songs and playing the guitar. Only later did I find out/realize that Mr. Richman is/was the man behind the Modern Lovers. That news was like winning the lottery for me. And while I dared not admit to be hoping that he might play a Modern Lovers song, imagine my satisfaction when he layed down modern versions of the songs "Pablo Picasso" and "Girlfriend."

After the show I had maybe the best Neck Face sighting of my life. Or does stuff like this even count?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I finished the night off by partying a little bit down by the river and then playing Pokemon Puzzle League at Mike's house and staying up all night with the Lemmons.

Sunday In the afternoon I met up with Kurt, Mike, and Matt as Matt made his final dash to enjoy as much of New York as possible.

Can your brain even handle the full force of the Mike/Matt dichotomy?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

On East Houston Matt copped a hat from the hip hop store.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We checked in on the Mr. T dolls exhibit again. I was able to correct my grave error of not having photographed the Elvis Mr. T last time.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And noticed lots of dolls that I didn't remember at all from my first visit.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Also, we met the guy (Greg Something, I think?) who collected all the dolls and talked about trying to get Mr. T to come out to see the show and the grand history of his project. Also, Kurt (right now I'm noticing I didn't get any pictures of Kurt. My bad) made a panoramic shot of a bunch of the dolls which you can check out if you click here. Seriously, if you only click one link ever at Steady Mobbin', let it be that one. Once the picture loads, make sure to click on it to see it in all its enormity. And, once again, I didn't make that picture, Kurt did, and I you're thinking about that as you view the photo.

Then we went to Rice to Riches. Or maybe these pictures are from 100 years in the future?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Not too much later it was time for Matt to return to Utah. I went along because Mike has a car, and it's pretty hard for me to pass up an opportunity to ride in a car these days. I guess I also went along because Matt's my friend and I wanted to see him off, too.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: