Sunday, May 19, 2013

Best Saturday Night Rock Show

Saturday evening I saw Liars perform inside the Temple of Dendur at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I believe it had to do with the Punk fashion exhibit currently on display there.


Do you know about the Temple of Dendur?  I lived in New York a long time before I ever visited it.


I first saw Liars open with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in Salt Lake City in 2002.  Their set shook up my rock n roll sensibilities and clued me in on the sound of the next ten years. Over that decade I did not always remember to listen to Liars, but when I did, I was always rewarded.


Menacing dance punk among the Ancients.  Book of the Dead disco.  A perfect show.











And after the rock ended: stillness and quiet returns to the ruins.  It's like permanence vs. the fleeting tyrants.  Look on my works and despair, indeed.






Hipsters and elderly museum members exit via the rest of the ancient Egypt exhibit.


Would you believe it if I told you these paintings are over a thousand years old?


They look like three dudes that could have been with us at the show.



Lobby flowers.


Do you see that man in white sneakers and a yellow cap?  Right by the car?  It's Michael Stipe, from REM.  Liars have a distinguished fanbase.


Also of note: the Thai embassy has a new Husky puppy from Alaska.  Four or five months old.  Good looking fellow.


No comments: