Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Best Back to the Noodle Bar

Would you believe I haven't been to the Momofuku Noodle Bar since, err, October?  Dipped in for a little dinner last week, let's run down the dishes, new and old.

Tried the Brisket Buns, pretty nice.  Would have liked more kick from the horseradish and pickled onions.  Of the non-Pork variety buns I think the Ebi Filet-O-esque shrimp buns are still my favorites.


Roasted Cauliflower with preserved lemon, harissa (middle eastern pepper adding a decent amount of heat), and walnut sauce.  Wish I had had a spoon to finish the walnut sauce off with.


Momofuku Ramen.  The classic.  Pork belly, pork shoulder, pork broth, poached egg, a few vegetables.  I appreciate it more each time I get it.  And here is my trick: Always take home any leftover broth.  Cook with it later.  It'll porky-up a dish real nice.




Duck Salad.  What is it that they say?  "Run don't walk?"  Well, run, don't walk (and push over who you have to) to the Noodle Bar to try this seasonal dish because it is.  Wow.  It is just wow.  A salad of shredded duck confit, a few thin slices of breast (I presume), ribbons of squash, some hazelnut, some brown butter.    I hesitate to use the word "umami" but I do believe this dish punches the umami tastebuds right in their mouths.  Best duck dish I've had in a week!  I miss it bad.

2 comments:

Pearl said...

I need to come out soon!

Dad said...

I really want to try that ramen the next time I'm in NYC. Looks even better than the Sapporo Ichiban.