Monday, November 14, 2011

Best New Salad

In Lucky Peach #2 (available everywhere [more or less?] tomorrow!) there's this article where one Kevin Pang rates certain foods after sitting in the fridge for a while.  It's funny.  There's mashed potatoes, deli roast beef, guacamole, Brita filtered water, etc.  Regarding Kentucky Fried Chicken Pang says "My favorite application of cold KFC? Chopping it up into chicken salad, with scallions, green apples, sriracha, Kewpie mayo, and lime juice."

That sounded delicious to me.  So I assembled bought some KFC, ate a drumstick (I couldn't resist!) and stuck the rest in the fridge for a couple days.


And then it was chicken salad making time!

Tore my chicken apart, kept all the skin, and tossed in three or four chopped scallions.


Cut about a third of a green apple like this


Discovered my bowl was too small for all the ingredients, couldn't find my larger mixing bowl, put all the ingredients in a sauce pan, added an appropriate-looking amount of Kewpie mayo followed by an appropriate-looking amount of sriracha.  Took pride in my ingenuity, felt shame over my paucity.


Mixed it all up, transferred it to my bowl.


The Verdict: Oh geeze.  Wow.  I mean, was there ever any doubt about the deliciousness of cold fried chicken with lots of Kewpie mayo and sriracha?  Apple, lime, scallion, they just make it even better.  I might be keeping fried chicken on hand from now on for whipping this one up when the mood strikes.

And for the record: Not all the recipes in the magazine call for cookies as bread or fast food fried chicken  as main ingredients.  Just the first two recipes I tried.

5 comments:

Pearl said...

I want to make this. And the cookie sandwich. And I want that magazine. It seems like I HAVE to come out to New York, right? :)

Scrumpestuous D said...

So, where's the best place to get the Kewpie mayo?

Brigham said...

Pearl: Yup, no choice. You got to.

Dave: M2M and Sunrise Mart, for starters. It's a couple bucks cheaper at Sunrise. I shouldn't have even mentioned M2M.

Kristen said...

That fancy mayo sounds like it would be delicious.

Dad said...

It's not fancy mayo, it's Japanese mayo. I used to put it on scrambled eggs and lots of other things when I was serving in Japan.