- A Separation -- That movie about an Iranian couple trying to get a divorce. A bummer, but not the bummer I had been expecting.
- A Man Escaped--An old movie about a man escaping from prison. I like how it was just about him escaping prison.
- The Searchers--Many call this the greatest Western. Uhhh. Maybe Westerns weren't all that great?
- Children of Paradise
- Ruggles of Red Gap
- The Graduate--Didn't realize how funny it was.
- The Gang's All Here--Busby Berkeley/Carmen Miranda mind bender. Perhaps the inspiration for Tron?
- Celine and Julie Go Boating--Magnificently weird superlong French film. Loved it.
- Bonjour Tristesse
- Sunset Boulevard
- Django--Super violent Spaghetti Western that launched 1000 imitators, "Django" is the "Famous Rays Pizza" of movies.
- Funny Face
- The Wolfman -- See Below
- The Mummy -- Scary movie double feature. The Wolfman is only just so-so, the Mummy is rad.
- Spanish Dracula -- A Spanish language version filmed at the same time as the classic Bela Lugosi version on the same sets.
- Citizen Kane--Watched this to see if it was better than Vertigo. It most certainly is.
- Why Worry?--Harold Lloyd movie about a rich hypochondriac who goes to South America to recouperate. Brilliant. So funny.
- Vertigo -- Watched to see if it was the Best Movie of All Time (as some poll declared). It most certainly isn't.
- Safety Last--That Harold Lloyd where he hangs from a clock. Why Worry? is funnier.
- Grand Amour
- Holy Motors--Also magnificently weird. One of the only New Releases I saw at the Film Forum this year.
- Girl Shy
- Man in the White Suit--The only movie I saw at the Film Forum this year that I straight up did not care for.
- Tess -- So good.
- The Conformist
- Il Sorpasso -- File Under "So Good" as well.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Best Christmas Present of 2011
Last year I got a membership at the Film Forum for Christmas. That means I got to see movies for cheaper there. It was great, the freedom go to my favorite theater as much as I care to. Here's what I saw last year. Typed up here it doesn't seem like so many, but in real life it felt like I was visiting quite regularly.