Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Best Christmas Present of 2011

Last year I got a membership at the Film Forum for Christmas.  That means I got to see movies for cheaper there.  It was great, the freedom go to my favorite theater as much as I care to.  Here's what I saw last year.  Typed up here it doesn't seem like so many, but in real life it felt like I was visiting quite regularly.
  • Laura
  • A Separation -- That movie about an Iranian couple trying to get a divorce.  A bummer, but not the bummer I had been expecting.
  • A Man Escaped--An old movie about a man escaping from prison.  I like how it was just about him escaping prison.
  • The Searchers--Many call this the greatest Western.  Uhhh.  Maybe Westerns weren't all that great?
  • Children of Paradise
  • Ruggles of Red Gap
  • The Graduate--Didn't realize how funny it was.
  • The Gang's All Here--Busby Berkeley/Carmen Miranda mind bender.  Perhaps the inspiration for Tron?
  • Celine and Julie Go Boating--Magnificently weird superlong French film.  Loved it.
  • Bonjour Tristesse
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Django--Super violent Spaghetti Western that launched 1000 imitators, "Django" is the "Famous Rays Pizza" of movies.
  • Funny Face
  • The Wolfman -- See Below
  • The Mummy -- Scary movie double feature. The Wolfman is only just so-so, the Mummy is rad.
  • Spanish Dracula -- A Spanish language version filmed at the same time as the classic Bela Lugosi version on the same sets.
  • Citizen Kane--Watched this to see if it was better than Vertigo.  It most certainly is. 
  • Why Worry?--Harold Lloyd movie about a rich hypochondriac who goes to South America to recouperate.  Brilliant.  So funny.
  • Vertigo -- Watched to see if it was the Best Movie of All Time (as some poll declared).  It most certainly isn't.
  • Safety Last--That Harold Lloyd where he hangs from a clock.  Why Worry? is funnier.
  • Grand Amour
  • Holy Motors--Also magnificently weird.  One of the only New Releases I saw at the Film Forum this year.
  • Girl Shy
  • Man in the White Suit--The only movie I saw at the Film Forum this year that I straight up did not care for.
  • Tess -- So good.
  • The Conformist
  • Il Sorpasso -- File Under "So Good" as well.
Christmas 2012, my membership was renewed.  I look forward to another fine year of fine films, starting tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

MJP said...

Great gift, great list. If you don't follow Dave Kehr's blog already you may want to check it out. Just the thing to enhance your sophomore year at Film Forum.