Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Best Setlist for Old People

Saturday night Emily had her 60s Dance Party and it was the best. I was lucky enough to get to pick the music...a joyful responsibility, but a bit of work: when you're dealing with songs that rarely last longer than 2 and a half minutes, you need a big stack of songs to make it through the night (case in point: I played 30 fewer songs at Emily's party in November where the dancing lasted just about as long as Saturday's party)

Can you imagine how good this picture would have been if my camera would just focus correctly in the dark?

So here's the setlist. And congratulations to you for pointing out the songs that aren't from the 60's in advance, truly you are a master.

"All About My Girl" by Jimmy McGriff
"Last Night" by the Mar-Keys
"Wiggling Fool" by Jack Hammer
"I Can't Believe What You Say" by Ike & Tina Turner
"Baby, Please Don't Go" by Them
"In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett
"Picture Book" by the Kinks
"Expressway to Your Heart" by the Amen Corner
"Tell Him" by the Exciters
"Mumbles" by Jack Ross
"Bye Bye Baby" by Mary Wells
"She Loves You" by the Beatles
"Last Train to Clarksville" by the Monkees
"Summertime" by Billy Stewart
"Harlem Shuffle" by Bob & Earl
"Twistin' the Night Away" by Sam Cooke
"Concrete and Clay" by Unit 4 + 2
"My Baby Does the Hanky Panky" by Tommy James
"Buzzsaw Twist" by the Gee Cees
"I Only Want to Be With You" by Dusty Springfield
"Little Honda" by the Beach Boys
"Da Doo Ron Ron" by the Crystals
"Blue Moon" by the Marcels
"Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield
"You Never Can Tell" by Chuck Berry
"Twist and Shout" by the Beatles
"Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
"Nobody But Me" by the Human Beinz
"Get Off of My Cloud" by the Rolling Stones
"Beggin'" by Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons
"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann
"You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes
"Love Potion Number Nine" by the Searchers
"Cupid" by Sam Cooke
"I'm a Believer" by the Monkees
"Undivided Love" by Eskew Reeder
"Sugar Pie Honey Bunch" by the Temptations
"Elenore" by the Turtles
"Bus Stop" by the Hollies
"Jump in the Line" by Harry Belafonte
"Be My Baby" by the Ronettes
"Uptight Everything's Alright" by Stevie Wonder
"Working My Way Back" by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
"Misirlou" by Dick Dale
"Double Shout of My Baby's Love" by the Swingin' Medallions
"Have Love Will Travel" by the Sonics
"Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys
"I Want Candy" by the Strangeloves
"Birthday" by the Beatles
(I played this at midnight as that's when Jeff's birthday began...also, this was when the dancing started to get serious)
"Let's Spend the Night Together" by the Rolling Stones
"I'm Waiting for the Man" by the Velvet Underground
"She's About a Mover" by Sir Douglas Quintet
"I Get Around" by the Beach Boys
"Land of 1000 Dances" by Wilson Pickett
"Little Bit O'Soul" by the Music Explosion
"Stay" by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
"Then He Kissed Me" by the Crystals
"Breaking Up is Hard to Do" by Neil Sadaka
"I Will Follow Him" by the Shirelles
"My Girl" by the Temptations
"Till There Was You" by the Beatles
"With a Girl Like You" by the Troggs
"I'm Crying" by the Animals
"All Day and All of the Night" by the Kinks
"Surf City" by Jan & Dean
"He's So Fine" by the Chiffons
"Can't Buy Me Love" by the Beatles
"Cathy's Clown" by the Everly Brothers
"So Happy Together" by the Turtles
"You're So Good to Me" by the Beach Boys
"I Only Have Eyes for You" by the Flamingos
"Come Softly" by the Fleetwoods
"96 Tears" by ? and the Mysterians
"Roadrunner" by the Modern Lovers
"For Your Love" by the Yardbirds
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye
"You Really Got a Hold on Me" by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
"This Time Tomorrow" by the Kinks
"Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys
"Build Me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles
"After Hours" by the Velvet Underground
"Hawaii 5-0 Theme" by the Ventures

83 Songs, 3hrs 33 minutes.
And if you were wondering, that's six Beatles songs, five Beach Boys songs, and three Kinks songs.

All my pictures will be up tomorrow, I just wanted to give the internet a bit of a break after my birthday post.

No comments: