I found this logic puzzle on the internet today and spent some very pleasant and enjoyable time this afternoon solving it. It's like one of the old analytical reasoning problems I used to do for the LSAT but with a whole lot more variables. I invite you to give it a shot.
There are 5 houses each with a different color. Their owners, each with a unique heritage, drinks a certain type of beverage, smokes a certain brand of cigarette, and keeps a certain variety of pet. None of the owners have the same variety of pet, smoke the same brand of cigarette or drink the same beverage.
* The Brit lives in the red house.
* The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
* The Dane drinks tea.
* Looking from the front, the green house is just to the left of the white house.
* The green house's owner drinks coffee.
* The person who smokes Pall Malls raises birds.
* The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
* The man living in the center house drinks milk.
* The Norwegian lives in the leftmost house.
* The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
* The man who keeps a horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
* The owner who smokes Bluemasters also drinks beer.
* The German smokes Prince.
* The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
* The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.
Who owns the pet fish?
So, indeed, who owns the pet fish?
Here's another one I found, far less complicated than the first:
As Miss Nozemoke entered the interview room, her host told her to keep eye contact with Mr. Lighter, since he would be the one making the final decision in her case. "However," he continued, "the men routinely change positions, but I can give you some clues that you can use to figure out who is sitting where." Miss Nozemoke mentally numbered the men 1 to 4 from left to right and used the clues to figure out where Mr. Lighter was seated.
Can you figure out where Mr. Lighter is sitting?
* The pipe smoker will sit to the right of Mr. Lighter.
* Mr. Crumpet does not smoke cigarettes.
* Neither Mr. Crumpet nor Mr. Tray will sit in the third position.
* The cigarette smoker will sit to the immediate left of Mr. Small.
* Mr. Crumpet will not smoke cigars.
* The cigarette smoker is just to the right of the cigar smoker.
* The cigar smoker is sitting on the end.