Sunday, October 27, 2013

Best Instant Party Link

Because I'll never let you forget that I went to DC two weeks ago and DJ'd the heck out of their Saturday night party, I've uploaded a file of all the songs I played off my computer while I was playing them. Maybe this isn't the most indie or edgy group of party songs you'll see on the internet, but I stand by my work. The people of our Nation's Capital liked it, doesn't that count for something? (If you say "no" then you are a communist)



What I Played:

These three I played when I was just getting set up and there was hardly anyone in the room yet. And before I pressed the record button:

Oblivion by Grimes
Defeated by Disclosure
Blind by Hercules and Love Affair

And then I pressed the record button, so these are the songs you'll be downloading:

Instant Crush by Daft Punk
Oblivion by Grimes (Yeah I played it twice because no one was in the room the first time)
Home by LCD Soundsystem
Bad Girls by MIA
Giving up the Gun by Vampire Weekend
Footloose by Whoever Sings Footloose (Played this because someone said, "Quick, the Bishop's here. Play Footloose or something.")
Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
You Should Be Dancing by the Bee Gees (Honestly I think this song is the jam) 
When I Get You Alone by Robin Thicke
I Want You Back by the Jackson 5
Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna
Crazy by Pitbull
Get Low by Flo-Rida
Bad Romance by Lady Gaga
Womanizer by Britney Spears
Walk it Out by Unk
*Wobble* by Whoever (This was on someone else's iphone and I just plugged it in. I had never heard of the Wobble before that day, turns out people love the Wobble! Song isn't on the mix, though, because it didn't play through my computer. But I did delete the 4 minute silent patch where I was playing it from the file) 
Give Me Everything by Pitbull
We Found Love by Rihanna
Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO
I Love It by Icona Pop (without all the swears. That's basically my policy: No Swears, Especially at Church)
Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
Da Funk by Daft Punk
Kiss by Prince
Suit n Tie by Justin Timberlake
Get Lucky by Daft Punk
(Billy Jean through Get Lucky was a sequence I had come up with at work when I realized how close the beats to Billy Jean and Get Lucky were. Crowd went crazy for Kiss. I trimmed the intro from Suit and Tie and stopped it before Jay's verse. I've got this good mashup of Suit n Tie and Get Lucky by the Hood Internet, playing the two separately was my personal tribute to not playing them together)
Otis by Jay-Z and Kanye West
Single Ladies by Beyonce (honestly I'm disappointed in myself for having playing Single Ladies at this point, I feel it squandered the fun of Otis. I should have played another rap song)
Gold Digger by Kanye West
Hello by Martin Solveig and Dragonette
Call Your Girlfriend by Robyn
Electric Piano Song (I don't know what this song is called or who it is by, but it's the song I play after the number of people requesting a salsa or merengue song has reached critical mass) 
You Make My Dreams by Hall and Oates
Birthday by the Beatles (A lot of people had asked me to play a birthday song for their friend's birthday, I couldn't believe the number of birthdays in the house that night. Eventually some of them were getting pretty beligerant. So I played this for them)
Harlem Shake by Bauer
Gangnam Style by Psy
Cha Cha Slide by Whoever
(A three song suite of continued crowd appeasement. Hey! I want them to be happy. That's my job. Played the whole Cha Cha slide so I could go to the bathroom)
ABC by the Jackson 5 (but then I was like "Okay, let's party again.")
Hypnotize by Notorious B.I.G.
California Love by 2Pac and Dr. Dre (Crowd went bananas! And at this point someone told me it was time to end, but I didn't recognize the person. So I wasn't sure it was really time to end) 
Chimes by Lunice (Snippet. Some day I'll find a crowd that likes this song)
Ms Jackson by Outkast (I played this when I understood it was really truly time to end) 
Washington DC by the Magnetic Fields (This was my outro, my "Thanks for having me" number)
Banned in DC by the Bad Brains (This was my little treat for myself for playing low after the lights came on and people started taking things down. It was the first song I put in my list of songs to play in DC).

No comments: