Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Best speeches.byu.edu Surprise!

When I was at NYU, our most hotshot of the hotshot professors was this fellow Noah Feldman (now a Harvard hotshot). A while ago I had a post about an article he wrote in NY Times called "What is it About Mormonism?" and the keynote address he gave at the Princeton University conference on Mormonism and Politics.

Now it turns out he gave a devotional (or forum?) address at BYU late last year entitled "Few Are Chosen: Comparative Religion in the Public Sphere". In his talk, Feldman marches us through the history of presidential candidates from his home state of Massachusetts for whom their religious affiliation or standing was in issue in their candidacy. I found it to be more informative than insightful, but definitely interesting to listen to and I recommend it to you.

(Also cool: Feldman is introduced by John Tanner, one of my favorite professors from my undergraduate experience)

Bonus Devotional Discovery: My Grandma's cousin, Elder Spence J Condie, just gave a devotional there, too.

2 comments:

Scrumpestuous D said...

Turns out your grandma's cousin's brother (I suppose he's also your grandma's cousin) is a good friend of my family and our former stake president. Bet you didn't know that.

Anonymous said...

Do you happen to know where Elder Condie acquired his skill for dead-on impersonations of other General Authorities and extensive language skills? Is this a Condie family thing? As a missionary, over the half-dozen times he spoke to us in conferences I figure I heard him do pitch-perfect impressions of all the 12 and hold basic conversations in at least a half dozen different languages...