Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Best How's the House? Warm Enough for Ya?

In order to put an end to the harassing demands for this post that I've been receiving, I break from my timeline momentarily to honor Saturday night's House Warming party at Ali, Melissa, Leslie, and Kellie's.

This party was excellent. There was a big turnout with people from all over the island and visiting from other lands, too. There were probably more people there that night than came to the FHE the girls hosted earlier that week, and if you were at that FHE, then you know that was a lot of people.

Here's a picture of me, Leslie took it. I spent the night in the corner picking songs and talking to whoever might come over. Of the party but not in the party, that's how I like it.

I took a few pictures from where I stood before setting my camera free in the crowd to return to me later that night full of (mostly) Ali, Ryan, Ryan, Kim, Melissa, Davis, and Collin. With some Jamar, Bryndee, Holly, and Cassie here and there. Also, the occasional Jeff, Grace, or Heidi.


The food. I ate a LOT of that dip in the green bowl.














Caroline said "Check it out, I can pick up Randy."
It was true.
After the party, during the cleaning up and hanging out, Leslie was reviewing my photos and saw that there weren't any pictures of her at the party, so she and Ali created this reenactment.
Here's what I played that night (after an hour of hang-out music courtesy of Ali's computer).

Uptight Everything's Alright by Stevie Wonder
Got To Give It Up (Part 1) by Marvin Gaye
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) by Michael Jackson
Put a Ring on It by Beyonce
...as requested by the Ladies of the House to make it known to the partiers present that it was now definitely time to be dancing. There's video of Jamar dancing to this that I do not have that is incredible.
Miss Independent by Ne-Yo
Got Money (feat. T-Pain) by Lil Wayne
Turnin Me On by Keri Hilson
Touch It by Busta Rhymes
Jump Around by House of Pain
Insane In The Brain by Cypress Hill
Motownphilly by Boyz II Men
ABC by the Jackson 5
Forever by Chris Brown
Big Poppa by Notorious B.I.G.
SOS by Rhianna
Get Low by Flo-Rida f. T-Pain
Get Down Hit The Floor by Twista feat Pitbull
Tipsy by J-Kwon
Work It by Missy Elliott
...that string of four fast-paced hip-hop songs worked real well. I'm glad people embraced Get Down Hit the Floor and that they remembered Tipsy from a few years back, too.
Hot In Herre by Tiga
...an awesome instance of the cover being far better than the original.
House Of Jealous Lovers by The Rapture
Time to Pretend by MGMT
...I wanted to take the party to rockland, but then Melissa requested two songs that banded together to create the highlight of the night. What people love best is singing along.
Like A Prayer by Madonna
All These Things That I've Done by The Killers
...(those would be the two songs that Melissa requested. I followed it up with a well-received 'She's a Maniac' and then killed everything with 'Do You Want To.' Looking back, I think I should have played 'One More Time.')
She's a Maniac from Flashdance
Do You Want To by Franz Ferdinand
American Boy by Estelle Feat
A Milli by Lil Wayne

The party wasn't just a housewarming, it was also a joint birthday party for Leslie and Kellie, and this gap represents the several minutes taken off for the blowing out of candles. It was getting late at that point and I was wondering if they still wanted music. The answer was "Yes" so I kept going, but kept it real loose between requests.

Knocking Boots by Candyman
Bump and Grind by R Kelly
Never Gonna Get It by En Vogue
Kiss Kiss by Chris Brown
Spotlight by Jennifer Hudson
Womanizer by Britney Spears
Don't Stop The Music by Rihanna
Paper Planes by M.I.A.
SexyBack by Justin Timberlake
Whiner's Bio by Mates Of State
Ready For The Floor by Hot Chip
...One of my absolute favorite tracks right now and, judging from the number of iphones running Shazam during the song, it won a few more fans that night. But if you watched the video on mute you might never know that that the song was dope.
Lights Out by Santogold
Panic by the Smiths
Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash
...it was long after Jeff, Jared, and Collin left that I finally played the music that would have made them happy.
Blind by Hercules and Love Affair
You're So Good to Me by The Beach Boys
...'cuz that's how I like to end things.

So, in sum: Like I said before, totally great party. Totally cool apartment. An excellent Saturday night.

No comments: