Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Best Birthday Get-Together

The idea was that it was going to be a Birthday Get-Together. But it pretty much wound up being a Birthday Party, there was nothing I could do about it. Being the person having the birthday is a lot of work, so the photography situation was handled by Lexia Snow and Ashley Furst.

I spent the first portion of the party in the kitchen making guacamole, with frequent help from people like Tina (who's head you can see in the background.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If you got to the party early enough, I gave you a job. For example, Sariah got to wash the dishes while I scrubbed the toilet, Laura assembled my Swiffer Duster, Jenna and Tina had to figure out exactly how small I wanted my onions chopped, and, as seen here, Amber was placed in charge of an arts and crafts task that never made it onto the wall (for want of sticky-tack, not for lack of perfectly straight edges)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Elna Baker, before she made the party her private Internet Cafe (just playin', Elna)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Richie. Usually he doesn't look like this.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But Bryant usually looks like this.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jen and Jenna tend to look like this.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Apparently heads just aren't a very hot subject for party photography these days, because this is supposed to be Ryan.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And this is supposed to be Bryant talking with Emily.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But, seriously, had Jason's head been left out of this photo, I would have had some strong words for Lexia.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ah yes, Lauren Patricia Laura and Lexia.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I choose for this photo to show that Dave, Emily's head, and Jeff Mulcock were, in fact, at my party. And that Elna got her email taken care of for the week (just playin', Elna).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And I choose for this photo to show why the girls are always talking about Ryan Barnhart.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Still working on the guacamole. What? You expect the peppers and garlic to roast themselves?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For a while now I've been wanting to premiere my Thomas the Tank-Engine Table here on the blog. I found it on 6th Avenue either waiting for a bus or sitting in the trash (so hard to tell) like a month or so ago. A strong helper was in the neighborhood, so we carried it back to my place and now I finally have a place to keep, well, everything, as you can see here.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The futon had a two-conversation minimum at all times.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When I got my camera back at the end of the evening it was full of about 300 pictures like this one that Lexia and Patricia had taken of themselves.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was really hard on Patricia when she realized how enormous my arm was (seriously, why's my arm so huge in this picture? I look like a Rob Liefeld drawing)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But then I tried to make it up to Patricia by letting her co-star in my first truly great photo as a 28-year old.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Meanwhile, in the alternative party universe photographed by Ashley things happened like me sitting on the couch with Amber and Rebekah.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And Ashley and Rebekah posing for a photo. (This was before we all found out that Ashley was going to be a television star. Seriously. I'm not making some lame joke about Ashley being a TV star. Am I allowed to even talk about this? I don't know what rules they have about talking about Latin-American Idol. Crap! Can I even say that?)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And Kurt and Erin hanging out in the kitchen once I was finally out of there.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ashley with the Enkes. In case you were wondering if I got any awesome birthday presents, Yes, of course I did. But the photographers were so jealous of them that there aren't any photos. Besides, I'm not going to be all "Hey, look at me, look at how great all my presents and cards were", instead, I'm going to be all "Hey, look at me, look how great all my friends are, look at how lucky I was to have such a totally awesome party." Also, muchas gracias to everyone for being fairly well-behaved, I didn't get a single noise complaint from downstairs (or maybe I just couldn't hear my phone?) Oh, and something I didn't take a picture of was that after everyone else had left, Karisa and her parents came by. That part was really fun, too.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Epilogue Just when I thought everything had mellowed and I could go about just being 28, I went over to the Fursts' for Sunday Dinner (big crowd of people enjoying chorizo that tasted as good as Kentucky Fried Chicken) and guess what, a birthday cake made out of all the chocolate and chocolate-based substances available in New York happened. See those 28 candles? They didn't stand a chance against me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thanks again to everyone. It was the best. Also, no Firearm update this week. There's no way I can do the infamous Abercrombie issue justice right now.

2 comments:

Tannertrue said...

Dude, way to work in the Rob Liefeld reference. All one of us got it and appreciate you throwing us a bone.

Anonymous said...

did you know that those thomas tables are a hot item among 2-5 year olds? i got in bidding war on ebay trying to get one for my son. my husband convinced me that college was more important than the thomas table so my kid is one of those who won't have the memory that every kid has and talks about in elementary school (you know like when everyone talked how great the last episode of Scooby doo was and you just had to shake your head and say "yeah that was good" every once in a while so the other kids thought you had seen it when actually you hadn't because your immigrant mom thought it was american propaganda and refused to let you watch it...)