Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Best Must See Exhibit of the Season

There's this 45th Anniversary Sesame Street Retrospective exhibit at the New York Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center right now and it's the best.
 

Wall to wall Sesame Street behind the scenes magic, it can't be topped.


And friendly familiar faces in the flesh at every turn.


Now here's an invitation.


Nothing like seeing him pop up on your account.




There was cool stuff on display like original sheet music for many a famous Sesame Street song,


Great old photos,



Things you didn't know,


Like they use the same mupper, called "Fat Blue", to make these two characters.


Have you ever encountered full-size real Big Bird? I tell you it'll pull an honest emotional reaction right out of you.


Elmo's a little after my time, but still.


There on the left? That's the first sketch ever of Elmo. That's where Elmo got invented on someone's notepad.


Placido Flamingo.


Rubber Ducky beside Rubber Ducky lyrics.


The music for C is for Cookie and Rubber Ducky.


There was a whole good corner of documents regarding the decision on how to address the death of Mr. Hooper. See I'm from the generation that remembers Mr. Hooper so this is strong stuff to be reading.



This might have been my favorite thing I saw. Do you recognize it? Come on, tell me you recognize it...I've posted a video below if you're feeling slow. But this 10 put the biggest grin on my face, I was just like "Aw yeah!'



This guy, too, left me feeling tickled. Let's hear it for original animation cells.



Genuine smiles all over the place.


Good stuff did not let up.



This Sesame Street exhibit runs through January and I'm telling you you should see it. It's not big, and if you go at the right time (just before it closes) it's not crowded (although it deserves Cronut-size lines). It's one of the best ways to spend 20 minutes in the city.


And outside during all this? Met Opening Night up on the screen for us commoners to enjoy.


2 comments:

Dad said...

Wow. Mom and I need to get back to NYC. C is for Cookie, that's my favorite Sesame Street song.

sarah said...

I love this.