Monday, August 22, 2005

Best I Still Really Don't Know What To Think Of This Night

If you're tuning into Steady Mobbin' for the first time since Friday (or before then, even) make sure to keep exploring after this post because I put up a bunch of stuff over the weekend. It'd be a shame if you missed it.

I don't know if you'd rather hear about my trip to California or me going to see Dolly Parton at Radio City last week. But since some of California was already more than a week ago, I suppose it can wait and I can just get Dolly out of the way, right?

Anyway, weeks ago Karisa started talking about how bad she wanted to go to Dolly Parton at Radio City and it seemed like an interesting enough idea so I said I'd go with her and the group she was rounding up . . . oddly enough, Karisa had to go out of town on business the week of the show and the rest of us had to enjoy the show for her.

First I met up with Jenna and Jenn (a.k.a. the ClazzyLadiesNYC) at Cosi for a little pre-Dolly dinner.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I ordered the shrimp salad sandwich and it was so good that my night was pretty much made after my first few bites. Everything else that followed that evening was pretty much just a bonus.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And then it was time to head over to the big show . . .

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was really taken with Radio City. It's really quite the building, everywhere I turned I saw something I really liked looking at.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In a certain sense, we had almost the very worst tickets possible--we sat in the very back of the very top balcony, but at least we weren't off to the side--even still, the view was plenty good. It made me regret having passed on a few rock shows at Radio City that I decided not to go to because I figured the place would be too big and I'd be too far back. Sorry Buff Medways, Morrissey, and Interpol. I should have come by. Maybe next time? (There certainly won't be a next time to see the Buffs at Radio City)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Men's Lounge (I guess that means bathroom waiting room) was really great. That's what I'll have to say about everything I saw pretty much, that it was great.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I even liked the numbers on the wall . . .

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

. . . and the sign above our aisle . . .

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

. . . and the swerve of the ceiling.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Photos of each other were taken to pass the Dolly-Waiting Time.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Maybe you can tell that I was trying to look nice for Dolly? (I suppose you could say I got all gussied up?) And also, you can totally tell that Jenna smiles like a champ.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here's Jenn and the 4th member of our band, Rich. To see Jenn as a blur here is a pretty accurate representation of the state of excitement she was in that evening.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here she is a little less blurry.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ah yes, the camera shot from the sky.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And another . . .

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As payment for my erasing an unflattering photo of her, Jenna took a picture of me sitting. I am a fair boss.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And then, quite suddenly, the house lights were dimmed and the show began with Dolly's band lit from behind against the curtain. There was a bit of a curtain malfunction, actually, it was supposed to drop to reveal everyone but didn't and the first thing we heard Dolly say that night was something like "I'm coming y'all, I can't get out, hold on y'all!" or something like that.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yet finally the spectacular majesty of the spectacle was unveiled!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I don't mean to frustrate you with a bunch of similar photos taken from quite far away where you really can't see anything, but I must represent that a performance was seen and it wasn't just the four of us taking photos of each other that night, right?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dolly opened with "Those Were the Days" (this had to do with the fact that this was her "Vintage Tour" and that she was going to be playing lots of old songs, or something like that) and then, after talking for 5 or 6 minutes (between each song she seriously talked for 5 or 6 minutes) she launched right into "9 to 5", and right after that she played "Jolene", so, in other words, after about 15 minutes I had heard Dolly play two out of the three songs of hers that I knew.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Click here to watch that lady dancing in the aisle.

I really don't know what to say about the show. I guess I was overwhelmed. For one thing, I couldn't believe how corny it was . . . and it appears that most people know that a Dolly Parton is going to be full of corny banter, but I wasn't prepared for it and was corn-balled over by the corniness of it. I'd hate to meet her joke writers.

At certain points, like if Dolly was just singing about her family and growing up in the mountains, it'd just be her under the spotlight with a bejeweled (or perhaps bedazzled?) instrument.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

One of the very last songs that Dolly sang was a rendition of John Lennon's Imagine. It totally brought so many people to tears, all around me, nothing but people crying. I think her last number (before an immediate encore) was "I Will Always Love You." At the end of the show there were many members of the audience expressing strong disappointment over the fact that Dolly didn't sing some song called "Islands in the Stream."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dolly's crowd was pretty much equally divided between cowboys and crossdressers.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We descended to the mainfloor to check out the merch situation. Again, I was taken by the details of Radio City (if you can call an enormous mural a detail, that is).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I love lamp.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And that's a good looking shiny door.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After much deliberation, Jenn finally decided on which Dolly shirt was the absolute corniest . . . I mean absolute classiest.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Out on the street, Jenn was disgusted by the things that Jenna asked Rich to do.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If you didn't catch on earlier, Jenn and Jenna are coming on strong on the bloggin' scene with their new joint, clazzyladiesnyc.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could have seen Morissey at Radio City Music Hall and CHOSE not to?

Dang, man. I knew there was a reason we weren't friends... ;)

Side of Jeffrey said...

I'm just amazed at how orange Radio City musical hall was that night...then suddenly, the refreshing light and joy that Dolly brings turned everything blue and pink. I wish that when I walked into a room, it no longer was a dark or dreary color, but a bright one of splendor and sequins.

Jenn said...

I'd like to give a special shout out to your hotness with the shrimp sandwich. Can I get a "whoo whoo!". I think you should pose with seafood more often.