Monday, August 08, 2005

Best Frank Partying

Thursday night right after work I met up with Jeff Mulcock and we saw Sky High (yes, I just said that we saw Sky High. I thought it was great, a version of Harry Potter that I can relate to. I highly recommend you see it, but it's all right if you wait until it plays some Sunday night on ABC.) After the show Jeff was like: "Hey, yo, I've got invites to the Paul Frank Andy Warhol launch party, want to go?" And I was like "Making the scene? I'm down." And so, still sporting the office casual attire and toting work-satchels, we headed over to the Nowhere Land of the far, far west 30's.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I don't go to many (ahem, "any") "industry" "events", so Jeff had to tell me that this thing was only blowing up so-so when we got there. Mostly we just orbited through, checked everything out, and were on our way.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If Paul Frank is throwing a party in honor of their Andy Warhol-inspired line, you better be ready to see lots of bananas. Lots and lots of bananas.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If you came across a crowd in the large 12th floor studio space where the party was held, you were actually just coming acros the bar.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

From up there you could see the controversial west side rail yards.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I got Jeff to do some banana-posing.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off in the corner of the party where hardly anyone seemed interested in going (because there wasn't a bar over there) there were caged examples of the new Andy Warhol line.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The craftmanship was worthy of inspection.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I just couldn't stop thinking about bananas!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is a purse for carrying cakes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A lip wallet.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Upstairs there was more party and more bananas.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And you could go outside from there.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I stood in this long line and got a Vitamin Water that tasted like animals.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But then I got an ice cream cone (Open Mr. Softee ice cream bar? Are you kidding me?!) that I liked a lot better.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When we came back down from the upstairs things were a little more lively.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They were taking buddy-pictures in front of this banana backdrop.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And had a bar full of printers printing up the buddy-pictures.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This guy in the yellow jacket must have been someone important because people kept going up to him to shake his hand. But he isn't Andy Warhol, because Andy Warhol is dead.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I mean, would an unimportant person have a woman with them to glance at cameras for them?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And so, eventually we left to hold a chicken fries afterpary at a nearby Burger King. The party was at the top of that building.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Oh, and in case you didn't already guess it, I took a banana home with me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But Wait! The next day I discovered that the Cobrasnake had been at the party too!. Somehow I didn't notice that David Cross was there with one of the Strokes. Had I scene David myself, I probably would have talked to him a bit because, hey, he's Tobias! But I definitely remember seeing this hairy guy and this guy in the striped shirt. And this old guy with a sign showed up the same time we did, and I certainly remember this proto-Hilton slinking around, looking for attention.

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

Your blog definitely was able to make the party cooler than it really was. I totally remember the proto Hilton - I kept thinking, "if that was really Paris Hilton, it would make this party so much more memorable." I thought nothing could save that party, but apparently if you wait around long enough at any party - someone cool might show up like Tobias.

Anonymous said...

I am Lexia and Sara's sister in Atlanta-just so you know.
1. The banana's were interesting. Were
they giving them away or did you sneak it out?
2. Pants tucked into boots on men must be the new "in" style. Check out the last picture on Sara's blog from Adam and Eve's wedding.