Thursday, July 07, 2005

Best "Finally, Something to Post About"

Despite some excellent suggestions for content, I remained block for another day . . . but then, after work today, I did some minor adventuring and am happy with the results.

Now, when I first came to New York I was always thrilled to see breakdancers on the street and could watch them for, well, minutes on end. But then I noticed that they were always doing the same dance moves the same way and became bored with them. And it didn't take me too long to go from being bored with breakdancers to annoyed by them. If you've walked through the city with me, you've probably noticed I'm quicker to avoid a group of breakdancers than I am a persistent leafleteer or belligerent panhandler. I've even turned to encouraging people to ignore breakdancers (in hopes that this will force them to work out new moves and whatnot, although I suppose I wouldn't know if they had new moves or not if I didn't stop to check them out, hmm . . .) so imagine my joy when I saw this sight this afternoon:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yes, a band of breakdancers by the fountain by the Plaza with absolutely no one paying them any attention! Finally!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But seriously, good luck guys, I wish you the best of luck in inventing awesome new moves that will blow all of New York's mind.

Columbus Circle is finally "open" again. It reminds me of the center of Washington Square Park, but with more traffic.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's kind of cool, Columbus and the Time Warner Center.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And the monument features some serious old school statue language:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Joy and Glory/Never Uttered a More Thrilling Call/Than That Which Resounded From The Conquered Ocean/In Sight of the First American Island/Land! Land!

And regarding the man himself:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

To Christopher Columbus/The Italian Resident in America/Scoffed at Before/During the Voyage, Menaced/After It, Chained/As Generous as Oppressed/To the World He Gave a World

Say what you will about your invasions of America, "To the World He Gave a World" is a pretty great line.

And behind the Trump International I noticed a statue I had never noticed before. Possibly the best representation of two souls cast into a lone and dreary world that you'll find on the streets of New York.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Then I took a field trip with Ashley to B&H Photo, which is pretty much the Disney Land (or should I say Diagon Alley?) of camera stores.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If you're thinking that a camera store couldn't possibly be a valid destination for an early-evening's worth of entertainment, you really ought to check B&H out, and maybe you'll get it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(In my hand I am holding a little piece of candy. There are bowls of candy all over the store. It's pretty good candy. I probably ate 800 pieces of it)

No comments: